I Didn't Know

No one forgets their first class. When my first class left Davyhulme, I was able to share this poem at the leavers assembly. I remember tearing up as I read it and thought I would share it as I am sure many followers of this blog can relate.

I found it online and have struggled to find the author. So if anyone knows please let me know and I will add it in. Here is the poem (I have adapted a few words):


I Didn't Know 
I didn't know that years of school and a college degree would be of little consolation when facing a room full of bright little eyes on the first day of school. I thought I was ready,
I didn't know that five minutes can seem like five hours when there is idle time and an eight hour school day far too short for a well-planned day of teaching.
I didn't know that teaching children was only a fraction of my job.
No one tells you about the conferences and phone calls, staff meetings and committees, paperwork and paperwork...
I didn't know that it took so long to cut out letters, draw and colour pictures, laminate-all for those display boards that were always "just there"
I didn't know that I would become such a scavenger, and that glue sticks would feel like pure gold in my hands,
I didn't know that an administration and co-workers that support and help you could make such a difference
I didn't know that there would be children that I loved and cared for and stayed up late worrying about, who, one day, would simply not show up.
And that I would never see them again
I didn't know that I can't always dry little tears and mend broken hearts.
I thought I could always make a difference...
I didn't know that the sound of children's laughter could drown out the sound of all the world's sadness
I didn't know that children could feel so profoundly. A broken heart knows no age.
I didn't know that a single "yes sir" from a disrespectful child or a note in my desk that says "You're the best!" could make me feel like I'm on top of a mountain and forget the valleys I forged to get there,
I never knew that after one year of teaching I would feel so much wiser, more tired, sadder and happier, all at once.
And that I would no longer call teaching my job, but my privilege.


Make sure you follow on Mr P on:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lovely Poem for Your Leavers Assembly

QR Codes - So much potential!

Exploring Excitable Edgar